
My wife and I were married in September of 2001 and by February of 2002, she was pregnant with our first kid. It was planned, though, I promise. We both wanted to have children and it made the most sense for us to have them as soon as possible. Since we had only dated for about 3 weeks, ultimately we didn't have much time to really get to know each other before the mood swings and nausea started. Over the last six years whenever we think about the first chapter of our marriage, we seem to drift toward the same question: Should we have waited to start our family until after we'd had a chance to get to know each other?
I think we did things the best way we could have. But every time I think about our future, I think ahead to the day when our children will be grown-up and on their own. Betsy and I will be able to go on cruises and vacations as a couple that we never had a chance to do when we were in our early 20's. Our kids will be adults and we'll still be young enough to enjoy each other's company... hopefully.
So whenever we have another child, the "18 year" stopwatch starts all over again. Right now, we'll both be almost 50 when Season is old enough to go to college or get married or move out or something. If things work out the way I'm planning, I'll have the summers off to spend with my wife and we can hang out with our kids and their families.
Betsy also has pretty rough pregnancies. They're not really DANGEROUS pregnancies... they're just really hard on her. When a pregnancy is hard on a wife and mother, it also makes for very trying times for the husband and children. We also recently moved into the house we'd like to live in for the next 50 or so years... and it only has 3 bedrooms with the possibility of adding a fourth at some point. So with three children, it works out pretty well. They can each have their own room when they hit their teenage years.
Betsy stays at home and takes care of the house and children and I work for the government. I get the occasional "cost of living adjustment" on my paycheck, but we are not in a position to be able to afford a large family.
There are other reasons we've decided to stop having children, but these are the least intrusive and more obvious ones.
Three days ago I was standing in my kitchen looking out the window at my two boys playing on the rope swing hanging from our apple tree in the backyard. My wife had just put Season to sleep in the crib and she walked up behind me and we both watched our kids playing. I told her how happy I am to have such a wonderful family and how blessed we've been to have such healthy and handsome children. She agreed and expressed her satisfaction with how well we've done with our life and with our family. I said something about how much fun it's going to be when Season is old enough to play outside with our boys. We both laughed at the mental image of watching Season learning to walk and stumbling around in the backyard with her two big brothers. Betsy said something about the size of our yard and how relieving it is to have so much space for our kids to play. Then I asked if she could picture any more kids playing in the backyard. She smiled and started walking into the bedroom to check on Season when she said, "Yeah... I could have one more."
This shocked me quite a bit. I followed her in to the bedroom and we started having a complicated conversation that still happens to be going on... on and off. All of the same reasons exist for wanting to be done, but we've been able to dismiss most of them by using fairly simple logic.
Our three kids are about 2 1/2 years apart each. So even though it's tempting to get my vasectomy now, we've been wondering if it makes more sense to wait until the time we'd normally be wanting to get pregnant again (in about 2 1/2 years) and then see how we feel. The problem with that rationalization is we can both picture ourselves wanting another baby... and another baby... and another baby. We've been wondering if we should use logic and common sense to make a decision like this or if we should use our gut/heart/spiritual prompting.
I called the Doctor and canceled my vasectomy. I was wondering if I was going to be able to type this blog post in such a way where I didn't seem like too much of a wuss. For the record, I'm not scared of the doctor messing with my balls and sticking a huge needle into my scrotum. I'm cool with that. I'm just not ready for the side-effects of the doctor messing with my balls.
Stay tuned for Part 4... coming in 2 1/2 years.

8 comments:
Yeah, you gotta wait. We thought we would stop with our two and just adopt because I have hard pregnancies too, ...but, now it just sounds so fun to have another little one of ours in our family! p.s we all know your not a wuss. i think
big decisions for the daley's. good luck in deciding and good call on holding off on the vasectomy until you realize what is best for you guys.
and just for the record dont count on that cost of living thing each year cuz that doesn't always happen.
Your kids are super cute -- I think you should have lots of them. I'll even babysit. (Oh wait, that might sound a little creepy since you don't actually know me. Maxim can verify I'm an okay person to be around kids.)
I think its a good idea that you decided to wait, just to be sure. Your children are beautiful. Matt and I want 3 children, but we are not opposed to 4, so I think we'll be in your position in a couple of years. I have really good pregnancies, it just took me forever to get prego this time! By the way, I love that you added a link to the Duggers! That family cracks me up. I honestly don't know how that woman still has a uterus inside of her!
Oh man.... I was going to ask if I could cut the cord...
Put more pictures of Season. PLEASE!!!
DaNelle: We thought about adopting, but I keep having flashbacks to the Raising Arizona quote about the only babies available are "black babies born with the heart on the outside".
Rachelle: I almost called yesterday and asked if the appointment slot was still open. It was a pretty rough day with the kids which I've considered dedicating an entire blog post on.
Steph: John says that other than your peculiar first and last name combo, there's absolutely nothing bizarre about you. I'll call you to babysit sometime.
Heather: I'm not sure why it took so long for you to get pregnant this time, but it's a good thing you're pregnant now... cause I think I'm fertile enough to impregnate you just by typing your name on my computer right now.
Tom: "cut the cord"? Is that how your generation says it? I'll call you in 2.5 years.
Gentry: Ok. Ok. I'll see if I can find some cute ones. Ohhh, who am I kidding? They're ALL cute.
this post made me laugh, and then laugh out loud with the link the the Duggar's page. Next time I have lunch with them I'll mention that their name comes up when people discuss vasectomies.
Post a Comment