The other day Betsy bought a case of Del Monte canned peaches. Usually the peaches are scrum-diddly-umptious... but for some reason, the first can of peaches was completely nasty. Betsy said that she could squish every peach against the roof of her mouth and it would simply dissolve. I laughed a bit as she poured most of the can into Sharona's food dish... even though I was crying a little bit on the inside since each can equates to approximately $1.30. The next day Betsy opened another can of Del Monte canned peaches and I heard her groan while I was checking out all my friends blogs on the computer. She said something about how upsetting it was that she couldn't enjoy the peaches like she usually does. This time I asked to try a peach before she gave them to Sharona. When I put the peach in my mouth, it was so extremely soft, I wondered how it was able to even keep the shape of a sliced peach. It tasted like a peach, thankfully, but the texture really threw me off. It was almost as disturbing as the sound of cauliflower squeaking when you bite it (which is why I don't eat cauliflower).
Well, since I was already on the computer, I clicked the Google link on my "favorites" bar and then typed in "Del Monte canned peaches". About three clicks later I was plugging in my personal information and began typing about my less-than-ideal experience... explaining in great detail the grotesque nature of the peaches, but countered my complaint with extremely flattering comments about our more common enjoyment of Del Monte products.
While I was typing up my Verbal Kung-fu, I remembered how often I would do this sort of thing when I was a teenager. I would be eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes and reading the side and back of the cereal box for the hundredth time because we couldn't afford the newspaper in my house and I wasn't old enough to read the Ensign (not because my parents forbade it... only because it was boring), and I'd stumble across a phone number underneath the words "Questions or comments, call". I grabbed our cordless phone while pouring my second bowl of yummy, sugar-coated, flakes with the intent of simply talking to a representative about my cereal consumption as well as my personal opinions regarding their product. I figured they were used to getting complaints... cause, really, why else would you call? I decided I would make their day by just offering an innocent "comment" or asking a simple "question" about their product. On this particular occasion, I asked how they were able to cook such delicious sweetness into each and every flake. She prodded me as to why I was asking such a question. I struggled to think of a reason other than "Cause nobody else is around for me to talk to" and ended up with something like "cause every once in a while I stumble across a naked flake and I can't help but wonder what went wrong". Well she instantly asked for my name and address so she could send me a coupon for a free box of Frosted Flakes. I tried to explain that I wasn't unhappy with the quality of the product, but she wouldn't hear it.

It wasn't five days later I had my own personal 21 oz box of Frosted Flakes. The same thing worked with Strawberry Quick, by the way.
I got this letter in the mail the other day along with a check for $7. Thank you Del Monte. Even though you addressed the letter to a "Ms", the facts remain... you nourish my family and enrich our lives... everyday.

11 comments:
I should write more letters.
When I was in college my roommate called Blue Bonnet and complained that they messily wrapped a cube of butter so she couldn't accurately slice it in even tablespoons. I thought she was a little crazy. Turned out she was.
Did yo ever try the raspberry flavored peaches that they use to make? They were soooo good! My husband is like you and sends off emails when disappointed. One time we got a whole bunch of free IBC cream soda, because of an email. I usually just let things go, but its nice to have some men who like to take care of it!
One of my brother's friends ate at Taco Bell for free through most of high school. Turns out if you fill out a complaint form and send it in, they send you back a $5 gift certificate. Last month, I complained at Wendy's when I had a lid inside my drink. I got them to give me a free frosty.
I'm NEVER paying for food again.
With all the money I save, I'm going to try to buy Quela's share of Cameron on Ebay.
McDonald's dropped the nozzle from their soda machine into my drink once. The cashier was glad to get it back. So glad, in fact, she stared at me blankly then yelled at one of the employees.
p.s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNcOlcTwnwg&NR
too funny you wrote this. my mom is the queen of writing letters and it has rubbed of on our family. just on sunday we were at my mom's house and my sister was telling us about three letters she needed to send off this week because of not so great consumer satisfaction!!
Laura: What is it with girls going crazy in college (Betsy has an awesome story about that).
Heather: Raspberry flavored peaches? I'm sorry, but that sounds like something that would only exist in the Celestial Kingdom.
Steph: I'd do that... except eventually I'd feel guilty. But I've learned that guilt always goes away so maybe I'll try it.
Tom: You're still talking about getting Quela's piece? Call me. Let's do "lunch" (ahem).
James: When you say "blankly" that implies there might be another way for a Mickey D's employee to look at you.
Rachelle: I'm just glad Al Gore invented email cause I suck at writing actual letters. I'm sure it has something to do with the stamp and addressing the effing thing.
Cam, if I knew you & Betsy & Sharona liked peaches so much I'd have given you some of our bottled ones a long time ago. To be honest, there is no comparison between those crappy Del Monte peaches and ours. If you guys are going to be home this weekend, I'll drop some by.
Your favorite aunt
Sorry Tom, I think I've decided to keep my piece for myself. It's just to valuable.
(I'm Laura's sister, and a freqent reader of Cameron's Corner...)
When I was little I wrote to the "Leaf" comapny, telling them they should make Sixlet's the size of golf balls. I imagined biting into a HUGE candy coated ball of chocolate and it thrilled me. However, they didn't even consider it, they also, sent me coupons for free Leaf Candy Products.
Which I was happy with.
But I don't think I'll buy DelMonte peaches ever again..
Post a Comment