Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Captain Underpants

There are a lot of reasons why having kids is fun, but having a couple of boys make it so much more enjoyable. There's something about playing with them while they're doing "boy" things that really brings out the kid in me. Actually, now that I think about it... most of the things I do are childish so it would be more accurate to say that my JOB actually brings out the ADULT in me.

I've been reading Captain Underpants to my boys for about a year and there's something about the way the author writes that makes my stomach hurt a little bit with jealousy. There are five or six different books in the Captain Underpants series and it's obvious the author has warmed up to his audience of young boys as the series progresses. I find myself laughing aloud at some things the author chooses to write and I'm pretty sure the humor goes over the head of most school-age youth.

I've chosen to share a couple of examples and I hope they substantiate my claims. I actually tried to read these pages silently as I was doing this post and it's not as entertaining. So, if it's not too much to ask, read these pages out loud. Close your office door if you're embarrassed. If you're in a cubicle, then read these pages loud enough that your co-workers can hear you. I have a feeling they'll be just as entertained as you are... and for some reason, saying all of these descriptive words aloud is much more fun.


9 comments:

Katie M. said...

That really was fun!! I didn't read it out loud, however, and I am in a cubicle. Sorry.

Laura Lee said...

Wow. You could have just typed up those words from the book on your blog and I would have thought you wrote it.

Adam and Cristina Smith said...

what is it about boys, that makes them think that the grosser the better is hilarious. Man I hope I don't have all boys. :) (although I did laugh a little)
~Cristina

Lizz said...

I've seen this in the stores and my younger brothers read them and loved them, but I've been looking forward to reading them to Asher.

Vearl said...

Nice teaser! How does it end?

Quela said...

You? Childish? What?

Johnny Metropolis said...

Way to go and totally renue my love for reading, I'm off the the store to pick up a copy!

LT said...

That George is a punk. Someone needs to teach him a lesson.

Moms eyes said...

You will probably never read this comment but I felt the need to share anyways.

I read these books to my 3rd grade class every afternoon. I read them aloud (obviously) and my room was always filled with EWWWW's (mostly from the girls, but some from the boys) and HAHAHAHAH's (mostly from the boys, but some from girls).

Anyways, My principal would just 'happen' to be walking down my hall every afternoon at 2:45 and just 'happen' to walk into my room to listen. His laughs were the loudest of all.
I believe I have these books to thank for my principal liking me so much.