We were over at my sister-in-laws house about two weeks ago and she had all of the Twilight books on her nightstand. I have been hearing a lot about it lately since the newest book, Breaking Dawn, came out. I was watching the news and saw about five million women standing in line to pick up the new book. They were all gushing about a character named "Edward" and how they had "discussion groups" that were set up just so a bunch of chicks could talk about this book. My wife, Betsy, doesn't read much of anything except the scriptures, KSL.com, and Parenting magazine. I figured it might be a book she would enjoy.So we borrowed the book and Betsy started reading it that same night. For a few days I watched her closely to see if she was enjoying it. She was. I noticed she was able to find time to read it during the day. She'd even stay up later than usual so she could read it after the kids went to bed.
I started to get curious. What the crud are all these chicks freaking out about? What could be so awesome about this series? Finally, I decided I was going to read the first book, Twilight... just to see. So I waited until Betsy went to sleep and then I'd take the book into the front room and read it. I didn't use a book mark because I didn't want Betsy to see that I was reading it. If she DID figure out I had been reading her book, I didn't want her to know how far I was or how much progress I'd made. If I didn't like it and Betsy knew I was reading it, I didn't want Betsy gushing to me about how awesome it was and put me in a position where I'd either have to agree with her (lie) or disagree with her (hurt feelings).
I just finished the book this last weekend, just behind my wife. It was pretty good. I had some problems with it, though.
I want to tell all you dudes out there a few things about Twilight. First of all, the reason women like this book so much is because it's about 90% Romance Novel. You know those books at the store that have really buff guys with huge muscles, wearing a ripped shirt and they're cradling a scantily clad hottie in their huge arms?
Twilight reminded me of what those Romance Novels might contain. It's from the point of view of Bella, a 17-year-old girl. She's in lust with this dude, Edward, who we learn is a vampire. "Vampires?" you might be thinking... "Cool!" Well, not really... but kinda.If you've seen any vampire horror movies then you know what can typically be expected from vampires. Raw emotion, passion, blood, sex, gore, and maybe a topless Sam from Who's the Boss... if you're lucky. For the book, Twilight, remove "topless". Remove "blood". Remove "sex" (it's a Mormon author, after all). Remove "gore". What are you left with? That's right. Emotion and passion. There is some allusion to blood and gore when Edward occasionally mentions "hunting", but not enough for any real man to get too excited.
Also remember this story is told from the point of view of a 17-year-old girl. Almost without exception, every time she sees Edward, she notices something amazing about him... like his perfect face, hard jawline, gorgeous eyes, muscular chest, smooth voice, brisk stride, gentle touch, etc. Now try to imagine every paragraph containing several sentences describing Edwards absolute perfection. It gets old pretty fast... for a guy.
Another thing that bothered me quite a bit was that Edward is not the nicest guy. I mean he says a lot of great things, he's amazingly smooth for a 107-year-old teenager, but he acts a lot like a jock. He orders Bella around like she's his dog and she does exactly what he tells her do. Why? Because he's so hot. That kind of bugged me. I saw that kind of thing happen in High School. All the hotties would flock to the A-holes because they were hot. I'd watch from afar and think, "I'm so much cooler than that dork face." But the chicks never noticed because I wore glasses with a strap in the back to hold them up.
The author of Twilight also strays from some of the basic, generally accepted "truths" about vampires. That's cool for the most part.
I mean, an author has creative license and can write her stories however she'd like. But, c'mon! A vampire can't be in the sun or else his skin melts off. That's pretty basic. Most everything else is optional (wooden stake through heart, flying, turning into a bat, etc) but the sunlight thing is pretty elementary. I think it would have been better if the author had just chosen to ignore it, but instead, she chose to have the vampires stay out of sunlight for a completely different reason. Are you ready for this? Because sunlight makes them sparkle and glow like they're covered with diamonds and other shiny jewels and gems. Like Edward needs to be any MORE beautiful than he already is. Sorry. That's pretty lame. I really hope she doesn't elaborate any more on this stupid quality in her future books. Not that I'm planning on reading them or anything.It's pretty obvious that Bella isn't really "in love" yet. I'm not saying she won't EVER be in love with Edward, but I don't think she's in love with him at the end of Twilight. She's infatuated with him because he's a vampire, he can run really fast, he's super strong and he's "oh so perfect". I don't think "awe" equates to "love".
Edward says all the right things, as well. He makes the rest of us guys look like babbling imbeciles. Let me tell you, ladies, if I had over 100 years to perfect my womanizing ability, I'd say all the right things, as well. It's kinda like Groundhog Day. Edward is a "teenager" and knows exactly what to say to make other 17-year-olds swoon because he's had a lot longer than us mere mortals to master it. "But, Cameron, Edward doesn't have any experience with women. He even told Bella that he's never felt this way about anyone. AND he's also a virgin!" Yeah right! Edward's been around the block once or twice in the last 100 years, I promise. He's just perfected his dialogue so he can impress Bella and whoever comes after her. With all the pent up one-liners and "icy caresses" he has built up, I guarantee Edward can hold his own in the sack. Bella is just an immature 17-year-old who wants the hottest guy in school to pay her some attention. That guy just happens to be a vampire.
That's all I have to say. Good luck, guys. If you can zone out during the more descriptive romantic scenes, it's actually a pretty good read.

15 comments:
I haven't read Breaking Dawn, but I really liked the first three books in the series. I always feel really stupid saying that though. The books are kind of ridiculous (teen vampire love, I mean come on...), but it's so easy for most of us women to get sucked up in the romance and drama of it all.
So, I have read all 4 books, and I think that they were good, some better than others. But, I absolutely don't agree with the things you said about Edward. He is actually the reason most women fall in love with these books, and its because he is sweet and romantic and just so great. Bella on the other hand can be annoying and kind of stupid. If you were to read the other books you would see what I'm talking about. I did appreciate the fact that you read it, and gave a review though. Tell Betsy if she reads the rest of the saga, that the 2 and 3 books are a little slow for the first half of them, but that the 4th one is great!
I just started Twilight this weekend, So I will see if I agree with you. My dad started reading it too, I think that is way weird.
Ugh. It wasn't the worst book I've read, and it was a page turner because of the "romance" factor but it also pissed me off and reminded me of every womanizing guy I know. I couldn't trust the jerk and the "oh so perfect" descriptions of Edward did get really old.
My sister-in-law wrote a letter to Entertainment Weekly about the upcoming movie and they published part of it. You can read her whole letter if you're interested. I pretty much echo her sentiments.
http://kellsbelles.blogspot.com/2008/07/im-published.html
Hey, did Traci give that to you?? I miss you all so much (especially Season.)
Cameron, I think I might just be the only chick who agrees with you. It's just a stupid high school love and I couldn't get over that. Heck if I wrote a book every time I had stellar dream I would be some famous, rich, Mormon too! At least mine would have some sort of action in them besides a mention of a "hunt"
Dude,
I'm worried about you. First you cry over a commercial, you you're reading romance novels?
What's next? Are you going for facials and pedicures?
You need to go outside now! Jack up your vehicle, report your engine, build a treehouse and cat call all the women in your neighborhood.
Your manhood is at stake!
I'm with Tom. Go reread The Long Walk. You need a good book of blatant killing to balance you out.
There is a reason. I just finished the 2nd book and will start the third tomorrow. I like them for some reasons that are just personal for me (like the fact that with the exception of Edward, Bella doesn't really like people and spends most of her time alone, as I do). Another general reason that women are loving this is: the bad boy. Edward is the typical bad boy (who just happens to have fangs) that she lands and has even been able to tame to the point of acceptability. Throughout history, women have had a "thing" for the bad boys- and an innate desire to be the ones to tame them. Bella is able to accomplish this in these books more than any woman that I've known in real life has. Therefore, the fantasy.....
(My own personal thoughts, of course....)
I'm surprised you actually read it. Now you need to get John to read it so he can stop majorly dissing it on his blog. I recommend you read the rest of them, some interesting stuff happens. I am one of those typical girls who really liked the books and love Edward. I'm not ashamed. I don't ever read unless I'm hooked and the only books that have hooked me so far are Harry Potter and the Twilight series. So for me to want to keep reading (something that i really don't like doing) means that it must be really good. Then again I also like all those super cheesy chick flick movies, so maybe it's just me.
Click-Clack-Flush....2 percent of your heterosexual manhood has been flushed down the toilet. Congrads, you're now 51% Gay. The sad part is I bet you are reading book 2.
I refuse to read those damn books.
Heather: You can disagree all you want, but Edward will still be a manipulative bastard. At least in Book 1.
Rachelle: I don't think you're "girlie" enough to dig it, but I may be wrong. Let me know.
John: Do you even know what a "metrosexual" is?
Tom: I've never had a facial or a pedicure... but one of my friends has had a pedicure and his name rhymes with JOHN MAXIM... wait... whoops.
LT: I'm reading Enders Shadow right now and I'm diggin' it... but I have to make sure I take my Ritalin before I start reading.
Pachuilo: You need to get a new toilet. They haven't gone "click-clack" since the 70's.
so you can't borrow a book and then bash on it :) Just kidding he he. How does betsy like it? I love it but New moon on the other hand has been hard for me to get in to. But I am almost done so you can borrow that one too! Love you guys
I agree with your review of the book 100%. Edward is a tool. But I still love the books.
Post a Comment