Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bad Idea


I'm 30 years old... 31 this year, and I'd like to think I've learned a few things in that amount of time. I find I'm often amazed at the same things, month in and month out. Like my toothpaste tube. Seriously. I can't believe how many days worth of toothpaste I can get out of a tube after I'm absolutely positive it's empty. I can have it all rolled up from the end and think, "Well... this is for sure the last day I'll be able to squeeze anything out of this tube." And then two weeks later I'll still be using the same tube. I've honestly never gotten to the bottom of a tube of toothpaste. In 30 years, I've never reached the bottom. I'm not saying I'm using the same tube I took with me to Scout Camp when I was 12... I'm just saying that someone else always throws it out before it's gone. It's like my wife just gets frustrated that it never seems to end so she throws it in the garbage.

The same thing goes for soap. I can always get "one more shower" out of the remaining sliver of Irish Spring. Sometimes I end up spending 10 minutes trying to get it out of my armpit pubes, but then I just rinse if off and set it off to the side to use tomorrow. My wife always throws those away, as well.

My sticks of deodorant usually crumble when I get to the last bit. For some reason I find that extremely irritating so I throw them away. No ones fault but my own with the deodorant.

I've learned recently that the "seemingly endless" qualities of many personal hygiene/toiletry items doesn't transcend to toilet paper. The toilet paper roll ends. When there's no more toilet paper on the roll, then that's it. Let it go. I've learned the hard way that the cardboard center of the toilet paper roll doesn't possess the same absorptive properties of it's paper counterpart. It mostly just "spreads" while doing very little, if any, "cleaning".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

just what I wanted to read this morning...about cameron being a tight wad! :-) Just kidding...

so...how about a baby update? like I for sure thought Betsy would have had the baby already as it seems when my sister gets that far dialated, she tends to have it the next day......so here I sit thinking you have had a baby and are not sharing the news.

Rachelle said...

I hear ya on the toothpaste. i love it. i have a new tube sitting on my counter but am still squeezing out stuff from the old one. As for the toilet paper, I feel that in my house Im ALWAYS the one that the toilet paper runs out on. I mean I am the only one that replaces it too. I mean how does that happen?

Quela said...

You've really used the hard cardboard center to wipe?? Man, I thought I was lazy. But I guess it's a good thing to try and get the most out of something.

Laura Lee said...

I can make shampoo last forever. I just add more and more water into the bottle and shake it up until there's no more lather.

And I think everyone feels like they're the only one who replaces the toilet paper. I've never heard anyone say, "I'm so lucky! I never have to replace the toilet paper. I time it just right."