Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nostalgic Numbers

A fellow blogger and friend (that I've never met), Laura, did a post recently about how certain smells bring back specific memories for her. Every once in a while I'll hear a song on the radio that will bring back the same memory every time I hear it... kinda like whenever I smell bug spray I instantly think of Scout Camp. I've decided to list a few songs that bring back specific memories for me.

Top of the World (Van Halen) and Old Time Rock And Roll (Bob Seger) remind me of growing up with my older brother, Ryan. My mom took his Van Halen shirt away from him when she heard from her coworker that they sang a song with a questionable message. It also reminds me of when Ryan took me to see Risky Business at a midnight movie when I was in Jr. High.

Look Away (Chicago)and Zombie Jamboree (Rockapella [Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego]) reminds me of the two concerts I attended when I was in High School. I remember being pretty pissed that Chicago performed all their songs from the 60's and 70's instead of the songs I was familiar with from the 80's. This might be one of the reasons I don't care for concerts anymore. By the way, Rockapella was awesome!

Forever Young (Alphaville) always reminds me of the Jr. High dances when I'd stand off to the side of the gym and wonder why girls never asked the guys to dance... as if that would have made any difference as to whether or not I participated.

Feelin' Groovy (Simon and Garfunkel) No matter how scared or nervous I am for any sort of event, I can listen to this song and all of my worries melt away... seriously. I'd always listen to this song while I was driving over to a girls house to break up with her.

Here I Go Again (Whitesnake) This is the song I'd listen to after I had broken up with the aforementioned girl. The lyrics made me feel better about my decision and excited for the next chick.

Mmmm Bopp (Hanson) I remember seeing the music video for this at a members house while I was on my mission in England. I distinctly remember thinking that the lead singer was actually a pretty cute chick for a younger girl... then someone told me the group was actually three brothers. I felt pretty dirty.

Then He Kissed Me (The Crystals) The very first drive-in I ever went to was a double feature of Adventures in Babysitting and Can't Buy Me Love. I always picture Elizabeth Shue singing into her bed post.

Juke Box Hero (Foreigner) Even though I've done a great Air Guitar for my whole life, there's just something about how much awesome'r my Air Guitar is for this song. I can also somehow jump higher and do the splits when I'm jamming to this song.

You Sexy Thing (Hot Chocolate) Always reminds me of the amateur strips I participated in when I was single. I only stripped at two bachelorette parties, but we stripped to this song both times. There's just something about it that makes me want to take my clothes off.

American Pie (Don McClean) My mom bought all of us kids season passes to Wild Waters when I was younger. It took just over 8 minutes to drive from our house to Wild Waters and we'd listen to this song for the whole drive since it's about 8 and a half minutes long.

Final Countdown (Europe) This is the song my friend, John, and I chose for the finale in our movie Out of the Blue. The lyrics make no sense and don't apply to anything we've ever experienced as friends, but the song rocks.

Louisiana Saturday Night (Don Williams) This is one of three country songs I can stand. It's even better because it's only about two minutes long. My mom taught aerobics when I was little and she did a "routine" to this song. I had to listen to different songs hundreds of times while she was preparing her "routines" so this is one that got stuck in my head for the last 20 or so years.

Storybook Love (Willie Deville) - This is the theme song from The Princess Bride. I saw this movie in the movie theater when it came out. I got in trouble because I took a dare from my friends to dance to the mellow music playing before the lights dimmed. I stood up and danced in front of the whole theater right as my mom came in with the popcorn and drinks. BUSTED!

500 Miles - (The Proclaimers) I worked at The Snow Shack when I was 15 years old and this song was ridiculously popular. I was forced to listen to this on every radio station during my shifts while making snow cones for hours on end. Whenever this song comes on I can faintly taste Tiger's Blood snowie in the back of my throat.

8 comments:

Laura Lee said...

I have song associations too. Sometimes the associations are trumped by another experience, but that's rare.

"500 Miles" always remind me of Benny and Joon.

James said...

I just read the title on the VH album and finally realized what it meant. wow im retarded.

Auntie Nay Nay said...

Hey, I worked at a Snow Shack too!! :)

Steph said...

You totally read my mind! I was going to do this exact same type of blogpost. I guess I'll hold off on that. Great song picks.

Johnny Metropolis said...

You left out "Poison" by Alice Cooper... remember when you were on that date years ago - it was a Saturday night a little after midnight, and you were singing along to Poison as you were pulling up to her place to drop her off. You got to the part that says "your skin so wet, black lace on sweat..." after crying that out, fists clenched, you undoubtably kicked into a frenzy of air drums, and then she said, "That's a nice way to ring in the sabbath day."

Oh man, I steal that story all the time... or is it mine, I just can't keep them strait anymore.

LT said...

You could do a whole post on junior high school dances. 'Must Have Been Love' by Roxette, 'I'll Stand By You' by The Pretenders, man oh man what were we thinking...

Lisa Marie Trent said...

You've never met Laura??

Weird.

Michal Sarah said...

I love about 73% of these songs. Good post. And Storybook Love is my favorite love song...Ever. You are the only man I have ever heard refer to it. I love Willie Deville's voice. And Zac Hanson is pretty cute for a younger girl.