Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Galactic Prophylactic

My birthday was yesterday, but I got stuck in some training for work that lasted for two days... the second day of which was my birthday. I'm such a poor planner that when my supervisor asked me last week if I'd be willing to participate in a UA Night (a night dedicated to drug testing probationers), I told him "yes" and that Tuesday was a good night to do it. It wasn't until later that I realized I had just committed myself to a work day lasting from 7 am until 10 pm... and that day was on my birthday.

Betsy was a little agitated, to say the least. She gets more excited for my birthday than she does for her own. She loves to decorate the house and spend the day doing arts and crafts with the kids and then give me the projects on my birthday. She asked me repeatedly what I wanted her to do to celebrate my "special day". I explained that I would only be seeing her and our kids for a few minutes in the morning... and our kids would be asleep by the time I got home. I convinced her to not do anything for my birthday and save the celebration for this weekend. She fought this notion because, after all, TUESDAY was my birthday. She couldn't grasp the reasoning behind my request to completely ignore my birthday celebration on the actual day.

Well, she fought the urge all day long while I was at work, but at some point in the evening she buckled. She knew it was too late to do much decorating, but she decided she would make me a small card. But when she finished the card, I guess she thought that wasn't enough. She felt like she needed to do me some sort of favor on my "special day".

When I got home from work at around 11pm, this is what I found on our kitchen table. I won't tell you what the card said, but I'm sure you can guess based on what Betsy had enclosed with the card. And those are pistachio's that Betsy spent quite some time cracking for me. I laughed the whole time I was eating those nuts. I pictured Betsy scanning the house wondering what she could do for me on my birthday when I wasn't there... then she saw our huge bag of pistachio's. Awesome.

This is just one more reason why I think I have the coolest and sweetest wife in the world. She can't help being thoughtful, even when she promises she won't be.

8 comments:

KateMarie said...

Happy Belated Birthday Cam!

(That's all I can say. I had to erase everything else I wrote. I've spent too much time around John lately.)

Just Me said...

Another year older, huh? Happy late birthday, fellow Cancer!

LT said...

Birthday...Nuts....Condom.... Yeah, I see the connection :) Happy Birthday, man. And thank Betsy for giving my wife something to aspire to :)

Laura Lee said...

Happy Birthday! Shelling someone's pistachios for them = true love.

Johnny Metropolis said...

Crap!!! Thats the exact same thing I was gonna get for you. Betsy is always one step ahead of me...

Hmmm now what?

Cameron's Corner said...

Kate: Now I'm curious. Maybe you could email me your original response.

John: Your comment was funny, but it was even funnier that your photo matched your comment so well.

B. said...

If I knew that every thing I did would be publicized. I might think twice before leaving a condom on the table. I'm sorry to anyone that doesn't want to think about that part of our relationship. Jeez Cameron.

Spackman's said...

I love this! It does show how cool my sister is :)