
With our first two kids my wife (and I) submitted to pretty much every test the doctor recommended throughout the pregnancy. Now that I look back, I think that may have been because I was always present for every appointment and so I didn't realize that I was the one saying "yes" whenever a test was suggested. Well, this time I missed an appointment and Betsy was there without me. Well it just happened to be the visit when they ask if the mother would like to test the baby for Down's Syndrome. Betsy decided not to for only one reason: there's a chance of false positives. Her rationale was that she preferred to not be told our child was Down's only to find out upon birthing that she actually WAS. I probably wouldn't have asked, but when she returned from the appointment Betsy volunteered the fact she had refused the test. Initially, I understood her reasoning, but lately it's been bothering me. Now it's too late to test and so we won't know until she's born, but I keep thinking I'd rather be TOLD she's Down's and be surprised when she's born to find out she's NOT than to assume she's not and be surprised to see the huge forehead when she comes out. It's a serious concern I have.

And another thing: If I were to have a Down's baby, I REALLY think I'd be okay with it, but it would be depressing if our only girl ended up being Down's. Not that I'd wish Down's on either of my two boys, but I'd really have a hard time with my only daughter being Down's. I don't know. I'm probably rambling, but I'm legitimately concerned. Ever since Betsy told me she'd turned down the test, I keep having these moments when I envision a Down's baby floating around in her belly, kicking and punching like any other infant. I just wish I knew and I really hope I don't sound like I'm mocking anyone or anything... though it wouldn't be below me to do such a thing.

6 comments:
Hey Cameron,
I was checkin out Shera's blog and saw your comment and thought "I wonder if that's Daley?" Then I saw you in your underwear and knew it was true. How's it going? You have a cute family, and a girl on the way!? Congratulations! I wouldn't worry about the Down's test, your baby girl will be perfect and adorable! Good luck! Check us out sometime eggertzinbelgium.blogspot.com
Even if your daughter is downs, life goes on cameron... life goes on
Obla Dee, Obla Dah
I've often believed that the absolute hardest thing in the world would be to raise a child with any mental disability. Although I have never given birth, I hear that sucks, but it only last a few hours. imagine a lifetime of taking care of a child. perhaps that's marriage from a womans perspective.
Cam Daley. Holy Crap. You have the cutest family ever. It's little crapo. You know the one who learned everything sick and perverted spending my childhood and teen years at your house. It looks like you are doing great. I keep in touch with Aly here and there. Tell you parents Hi for me.
Cam - My neighbors were 24 when they had their little girl, she is now 3 yrs old and and has downs. They also have two little boys. She is the most angelic thing ever. Brandy, my neighbor is one of my really good friends and I spend a lot of time with her kids. I love Kylie - she is beautiful and the sweetest little girl ever. You're not having a downs baby, but if you did, you would love her more. They didn't have the test done. Why would you want to know - you don't know what to plan for until it arrives anyway. You would spend your entire pregnancy being upset, depressed, or worried.
Post a Comment