I worked for Layton City Police Department for a little while about seven years ago. Ultimately, I quit and came back to work for Adult Probation and Parole, but I learned several valuable lessons while I was employed there and I learned a lot about myself, as well. The biggest thing I learned about myself is that I have absolutely no idea (nor do I care to learn) what the makes and/or models of cars look like. At the end of my first month with Layton PD, I was driving around with my trainer and he started to quiz me on makes and models of cars. I honestly had no idea. The best I could do was tell him the color and how many doors the cars had. That was the extent of my vehicular knowledge.
My trainer seemed surprised at the time... especially when I showed him how awesome I was at The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game. He kept telling me to forget all the useless crap about actors and actresses and replace it with car information. I kept trying to explain to him that I felt like car info was "useless". I mean, honestly, who else besides law enforcement people even CARE about the makes and models of cars?
The answer to that question, according to my friend, John... is "everyone". John seems to think that 90% of guys between the ages of 18 and 35 could look at five cars lined up and be able to tell you the make of the vehicle... and in most cases... even the model.
It wasn't until a few years ago that I even knew the difference between "make" and "model". I'm so extremely ignorant about cars that I have a hard time believing that 90% of men would care as much as John seems to think they do. I think a more accurate number would be 50-60%. I think it's fair to say I'm not as much of an anomaly as John claims. There's no way I'm a 1 in 10. I'm more like a 1 in 3.I've been asked this question a lot as well: "If you could own any car in the world, what would you want?" My answer is a Honda Element. Why? Cause they look pretty cool, I guess. The funny thing is, if you were to line up a Honda Element with 4 other similar looking SUV's... I'm only KINDA sure I could pick it out.
By the way, John... I may not be able to tell you what the make or model of a car is, but I'll always be right more often than you if the question comes down to the color of the car.

9 comments:
I don't know much about car makes and models either. Some people just pay attention to that stuff. Most everyone can spot people by their cars while I really have to make an effort to take note of the kind of car someone drives.
I remember when I lived in Portland, I would wait for the bus and practice my car knowledge as cars went by because I felt really dumb that I couldn't name the make and model at first glance. I'd guess what car it was as it drove up and then check the back of it for the answer after it passed me.
I think Jon has it right in your the 1 out of 10. Pretty much every guy I know, knows cars.
I don't know much about newer cars that are out, cause they don't interest me. I'm more of a vintage girl. I can tell the difference between the 55,56,57 chevy's, and the model and year of most muscle cars...my high school sweetheart was a big car guy, so we went to every car show and I was at drag races every weekend.
I also agree with John, you are 1 in 10. There is some BBC show called Top Gear that has my husband looking forward to Monday nights every week. It is all about cars. I think the hosts are pretty funny, but I just don't get the obsession with cars. But, my husband can talk about said show or cars with almost every guy and they completely understand each other. Go figure. You are an anomaly.
You could write everything you know about cars on the back of a stamp in Big Letters... Right?
Awesome. I can identify random lines from old "Gimmie a Break" episodes and I'll bet I can definitely keep pace with you on Senor Bacon, but put a line up of cars in front of me and all I'll notice is the color. Good to know I'm not alone in my mild form of auto redartation.
Speaking of Bacon...try and do 6 degrees between him and Bill Cosby. No cheating. I had to do this without a computer and it was kind of a toughie.
nah...I'm with you on this one, Cameron...though I would put it at closer to 60% than 50%. Some guys...it seems like that's all they talk about (ridiculous, yes). Important thing to me is do you know how to maintain/fix whatever car you have. I could care less if you could listen to a Mustang idle and tell me which year it was made.
i'm not into cars too much, but i do feel like it's a 1 in 10 thing. a little while back i decided that a one sign that i'd never be really really successful is the fact that i don't have a favorite car that i'd want to buy once i was successful. nowdays, like your thing with the honda element, i'd pick the old version of the toyota scion xb.
so is the answer 21 on the color blindness test?
Thats a rare picture of the Hiltone Schlutz there. Only two were made and only one remains semi-functional. The one pictured, and I'm no buff myself, was traded to many different owners and had a lot of mileage put on it. Sure it got the requisite oil changes, but even the constant engine inspections and overhauls failed to serve their purpose. Shame, could'a been a classic...
Cameron, I'm pretty sure I could tell you the make and model of five cars lined up! I don't get the guy obession over cars either, but my husband does also love the show Top Gear! I have occasionally watched it with him and its pretty funny!
Post a Comment