of me when I was in school.
He's enrolled in a Charter school and it requires a certain number of volunteer hours each month by the parents so I've had the opportunity to get to know his classmates more than my parents ever got to know my own classmates when I was little.
The other day I went with Tyton to one of his extracurricular activities with his peers. Every time we saw one of his female classmates, I'd hear them yell, "Tyton! Hey Tyton!" We'd both look toward them and she'd wave with a huge smile on her face. Nobody smiled at me like that until I was 17. Tyton would smile shyly and wave back. A few times I actually sensed the girls fathers glaring at Tyton and I... kinda like they were mentally preparing for 10 years from now when Ty takes advantage of his daughter.
The saddest and most entertaining part is, every time this would happen I'd lean down to Tyton and whisper in his ear, "Who's that?" Every time he'd answer, "She's in my class." Then I'd ask, "What's her name?" He'd shrug his shoulders every single time. He has no idea who most of the girls are in his class, but I got the distinct impression that they ALL know who he is. What a stud.
Last Friday when I picked Tyton up from school, he told me about how this classmate of his was standing in front of the class doing his show-and-tell (which, sadly enough, was a McDonalds Happy Meal toy) when a different classmate yelled "It's leaking!" referring to the toy. Well, unfortunately, the toy wasn't leaking. The boy was wetting his pants.

6 comments:
That's probably a good idea.
I remember being little and having some "friends" whose parents told them to be nice to me. It didn't make me feel that good. But in retrospect I think they were just really bad at it.
I think as long as you guys are teaching him to never be mean and be nice to all the kids, he'll get the befriending thing on his own. Even if he doesn't ever actually hang out with the slower kid he won't be the one on the teasing end making him feel bad. Plus if he's as cool as you make him sound (and I see from your pics that he's a real cutie pie), and he's genuinely nice to everyone...I bet he gets voted prom king in high school! Whoohoo Tyton!!!
As already said, it's great that you are teaching him to not be mean. If Tyton decides on his own to befriend this boy, then that's great. But it would have to be because HE wanted to, not because he was told to. So good for you and Betsy for not forcing a friendship that has a big chance of not being healthy anyways!
I always knew my nephew was a stud. The girls at his school must be smart. LOL I know that this is mean, but the kid wetting his pants story was REALLY funny. Poor kid. I can't believe that he was that nervous.
I've never seen the rule that says you have to like/be friends with everyone. So good for you for not forcing it. Not being mean...a good life skill. Please send Tyton to my first grade next year.
I love that you guys volunteer at his school. i think that is great that the school requests that. tyton is a stud!
Post a Comment