I remember my first physical when I went to scout camp at age 13 or so. I was pretty nervous. My older brother Ryan had tried to prepare me for the "turn and cough" portion of the exam. His words of comfort included a description of the hernia testing process. He claimed that it included jumper cables and a car battery. I was old enough and familiar enough with Ryan's so-called "words of wisdom", that I knew he was lying. At least I really really hoped he was.When our troop got to the Dr.'s office, I remember being escorted back to an exam room by an older, unattractive female nurse or assistant or whatever. I noticed a hotter nurse that was busy doing something else and I wasn't sure if it was good or bad that I got the ugly one. Either way, MY nurse led me into the room, asked me a few questions and then, as she was leaving, she instructed me to undress but to "leave your underwear on". I instantly felt gratitude that I got the ugly one. For some reason I felt the idea of an attractive nurse telling me to undress to be extremely embarrassing. She closed the door and I proceeded to strip. After I did as I was instructed, I found myself standing in the middle of the freezing cold exam room unsure of what to do next. I felt extremely vulnerable with my tighty whitey's wrapped not so tighty around my exposed 90 lb frame. I felt another wave of gratitude that IF a nurse were to accompany the doctor for the actual exam... at least it would be the ugly one.
Just then I heard the door handle start to jiggle. I looked down at my pasty skin and felt myself start to blush a little bit. Then the door opened and the hot nurse stuck her head into my exam room. "I'm just checking to make sure you... Ok... great. Looks like you're ready to go." Then the door closed. All of a sudden, the air in the room didn't seem quite as cold. In fact, I was pretty hot... standing there practically naked and bright red from the neck up.
Fast forward 10 years. I was told I needed a physical before starting my job working with Layton Police Department. I arrived at the Work Med and I was feeling pretty confident in my health and wellness. I had pretty much forgotten my mid-pubescent experience ten years earlier.
I was escorted back to my exam room and, again, told to strip down to my underwear... only this time I was provided with an open-back gown to hide the majority of my lack of muscle tone. As I was waiting for the doctor to come in, I noticed a sign on the wall. It said "If you feel uncomfortable and would like another member of staff present for your examination, one will be provided".
I thought to myself, "What kind of female wussies feel uncomfortable with their man doctor? Aren't they used to male doctors checking out all of their private parts by now? Geez."
Just then the door opened and a female assistant carrying a clipboard came into the room. She sat down across from me and asked me a series of questions from the paperwork she had clipped to her board. I answered them all honestly and politely while silently wondering who my doctor was seeing and what was taking him so long.
Then the assistant asked if I was familiar with testicular self examinations. I told her that I was pretty sure how to do them and what I was supposed to feel for during the self exam. She started to explain in glorious detail how the exam was supposed to be conducted, what was considered normal with testicles and what sort of lumps, protrusions, and sensitivity was considered abnormal.

I started to get a little uncomfortable. I mean, I'm cool with talking about my balls in almost any situation, but this doctor was significantly older than me... like, about my moms age. She was kinda cute for a 50 year old, but I really just wanted to have the conversation with the doctor.
Then the assistant pulled out a stethoscope and listened to my breathing through my back. She had me sit on the edge of the exam table and tested my reflexes. Then she had me lay back as she applied pressure to different parts of my abdomen. I thought to myself, "This is a very thorough pre-examination. I guess this assistant is only going to be leaving the turn-and-cough part for the actual doctor."
Then she told me to stand up and she rolled backwards in her little rolling chair until she was on the other side of the room. Then she said something I wasn't expecting... "Ok, Cameron. Walk over and stand right here (pointing to the ground in front of her) and pull your underwear down for me."
Uhhhhh. Apparently she'd decided not to leave anything for the doctor. Then I remembered the sign. I'm not exaggerating here. It took me all the way to this point to realize that she WAS the doctor.
I'm glad I couldn't see the look on my face as I did what I was told to do. I'm sure she could tell how uncomfortable I was. What baffled me the most is how long she seemed to drag out this part of the examination. I mean, I don't think I was molested or anything, but she went through a step by step tutorial on how to conduct a self-examination. I've blocked most of it out, but I remember hearing her say "THIS is how you do the self exam. You need to roll-" That's where my memory stops.
To be honest, I have no desire in recovering the memories that seem to have disappeared.

7 comments:
you are going to work for Layton PD? No longer DOC?
That sounds horrid. I read this with my husband and he said he would rather take his chances with the testicular cancer.
you could always have betsy do the examination for you. ;)
Awkward!! I'm glad I have a woman doctor myself. I would hate to have someone of the opposite sex feel me up...well in that setting.
There is a few movies that start that way, you should review them here
that should be there "are" a few movies...
Omg! I am lmao right now and rolling on the floor. You made my day....thanks. Btw, you are probably saying "who the hell are you"....I work in the Layton pharmacy.....remember? Found you on FB. I graduated w/ Kirk Chugg and am his "friend". Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment