Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chia Head

So a neighbor hooked me up with this sweet Chia Head. I've joked about them for years but never owned one. I admit I was pretty excited. I was going to get to plant seeds on the top of a clay scalp, water it, and watch it grow into a bushy hairdo. I actually entertained the possibility of trimming up his hair once it was all grown. Maybe hone my hair braiding skills since I'll probably need to know what I'm doing when my daughter grows up.

I read the instructions for the first time in my life. I studied them. I soaked the seeds overnight. I soaked the head in water overnight. I carefully spread the seeds onto the top, sides and back of the head. I placed the head in a sunny room and patiently waited.
See the photo on the box at the beginning of this post? Well, look how my Chia turned out. What the crud!?!? Apparently the clay is porous and this Chia Head needs to be refilled every 15 minutes, otherwise this happens. The water level drops too low and the seeds on the top of the head dry out and don't grow. Plus, his hair is pretty thin. I guess my Chia is a 60-year-old balding sex offender.

I guess I'll be able to practice a comb over.



5 comments:

Gentry Tolton said...

hahaha, that is sooo funny. oh and by the way, you won't ever need to braid Season's hair. If it needs to be done, just make a visit to her amazing aunt Gentry. LOL
but seriously, i will do it for free

Laura Lee said...

My dad never braided my hair. Although he did teach me how to knit.

you need to find some sod and make a little toupe for that guy.

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Well there goes my dream of ever owning my own chia pet. Balding old men scare me.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

HAHAHA your chia looks like Scott Allen Ball.

Heather said...

That is hilarious! Your Chia Head looks so funny!