Monday, October 6, 2008

Mathematics

Math has never been one of my strong suits. I haven't taken a math class in about 15 years. My last math class was when I was a sophomore in High School and I took Geometry. I don't remember much about that class because there was a dude in there who was always trying to pick a fight with me. I spent most of my time worrying about whether he was going to punch me in the face after class than I did focusing on the teacher.

So anyway, I just spent about an hour arguing with one of my coworkers about a story problem that has confused me for the last two decades. You've probably heard it, but the story problem goes like this:

Three guys go to a hotel and get a room for $15, paying $5 each. After they get to their room, the manager thinks, "I think I may have overcharged those three guys." So he gives the bellhop $5 and tells him to take it up to the guys as a refund. Halfway to the room, the bellhop thinks, "Since $5 can't be split three ways, I'll just take $2." So he puts two dollars in his pocket and gives each of the three guys a $1 refund.

So now each of the three guys has only paid $4... totaling 12$. The bellhop has $2 in his pocket which makes $14. Where's the other dollar?


I've told this story to dozens of people over the years. Usually we laugh and then talk about how stupid math is and how if "math" was a mortal entity, we would have stabbed it repeatedly, placed it in a gunny sack and thrown it into a large body of water after securing it to a heavy object of some sort.

But every once in a while (like today) I'll tell the story and someone will think they can explain to me where that missing dollar went. My coworker just spent at least 60 minutes trying to tell me about how it's a "play on words" and how Asians engage in this type of reckless tomfoolery --

*break* Ok. I'm not lying. My coworker just came back in here while I was typing this blog and spent another 15 minutes trying to explain this to me. I kept telling him to get out of my office and he said, "I will as soon as you acknowledge there's no such thing as a mathematical impossibility." So I agreed with him, but then he sat down and started talking about "actual reality" and "perceived reality". Then he started in on the difference between what the patrons actually paid versus what they thought they paid. Criminy! I had this exact conversation with my dad 10 years ago!

This is what I'm talking about. The story is fun to tell. The way the story is told is what I love about it. Of course something goes wrong with the way it's told. No argument there. My coworker actually drew some notes on the back of my appointment cards and some post-its in an attempt to illustrate. I wish I had a scanner here at work so I could attach these sweet visual aids. It would increase the entertainment value of this tale.

The best part is that I have a job where coworkers can have long meaningless conversations about virtually nothing. In fact, at one point my supervisor chimed in and said, "If the guys gave the $3 back to the bellhop then all the money is accounted for." That was his solution.

20 comments:

Just Me said...

Ah, the joys of incorrect equations. Parenthesis are used in equations for a reason. :) And to make smiley faces. :) :) :)~ :)-

Heather said...

Ok, I'm confused... I thought that the bellboy took $2, so why does it say that the busboy has $2 in his pocket? I am not a huge fan of math, but Matt is really good at it, and sometimes it drives me crazy!

Cameron's Corner said...

Sorry. That was a typo. I meant bellhop on both of them. The BELLHOP has the $2. Bellhop.

Anonymous said...

You may be a mystery wrapped in an enigma, but I don't believe for a second that you are "closed" and "private". You are totally tagged.

...and I have to say you and my hubby both got lucky if you don't have to kiss while having sex - there's a million men out there who envy you both.

Maria said...

Ummm... has anyone asked why three guys are sharing a hotel room?

B. said...

Your co worker is boring, our kids are screwed!

DaNelle said...

Thanks for that Cameron, my night just got a whole lot more complicated.

Steph said...

I love the part about how your coworker said Asians engage in this type of reckless tomfoolery. Doesn't he/she know that is a way un PC statement. Always blaming the Asians....

Katie M. said...

My co-worker has a button in her cubicle that says "I'm too pretty to do math". I think that's where I stand with this whole situation.

joN. said...

dude, how do you spell your last name? i gotta know and i can't find it printed conveniently anywhere. it's business.

Cook with Tom said...

Ha... the joke is on the guys that think they spent $4, but really spent $4.333333 each ($10/3= $3.3333, plus the dollar from the bellhop is $4.3333).

The bellhop is just going to waste his cut on beer anyway.

Cook with Tom said...

Besides... What kind of a sleezy hotel room are $3 guys staying in for $12?

What does that buy, like 30 minutes?

What can 3 guys do in a hotel room for 30 minutes?

...


...


...

Oh.

Laura Lee said...

I just came back to this to read some comments and realized I never read your entire post. I think it's because the story problem started to give me a headache and I already felt stupid because I've heard it a million times and I didn't remember the answer and I didn't want to think about it and get it wrong.

What's more likely is that my phone rang or some other work related thing distracted me from my blog reading.

The Pachuilo Family said...

10$ paid to the manager and 2$ to the bell hop = 12$, the total paid by the 3 gay dudes for their 30 minutes of fun. Adding what they paid to what the bell hop took does not equal what was paid for the room. I'm sad that only took up 20 minutes of my day....

Cameron's Corner said...

Pachuilo: Your answer is similar to my supervisors answer. Great job.

Spackman's said...

Betsy is right your co-worker is boring!

Rachelle said...

I hate this question and I would really hate someone talking to me about for more than one minute. I bet you were egging on your co worker though, just a little.

LT said...

I feel mentally violated... :(

James said...

What a wonderful math-tastical voyage. Thats why I hated math. There is always only ONE correct answer. Stupid correctness and balancing equations. English is much better. There are two types of people in this world, those who can speak and those not so much can.

moms_eyes said...

my head now hurts and I have been thinking of this story problem for hours....