
Some of you might ask, "Why don't you divide the large bag into several smaller bags via Ziplock and store them in your freezer for later consumption?" Well... I could, but if I wanted to eat frozen broccoli, then I'd BUY frozen broccoli. Then you might ask, "Maybe, but don't you find it frustrating that frozen broccoli is 90% stems and 10% florets?" Yes, I do find it frustrating, but it's only one of the many reasons I prefer fresh broccoli.
Another thing I shouldn't buy at Costco, but I probably will for the foreseeable future, is pistachio's. Man I love those nuts. I have a few problems with them, though. First and most importantly, it drives me crazy when I get a nut that doesn't have even a teeny tiny crack. I close my eyes and try to think about Disneyland or something whenever I have to put a sealed pistachio on top of my pile of shells. What a waste.
Secondly, though... I can't stop eating them. They're so extremely good I have a hard time deciding when to stop. I just keep eating and cracking... cracking and eating. I'll eat them until my stomach feels like I put way too much Horsey Sauce on an Arby's Melt. The problem is, when THAT pain starts to fade, my stomach is gurgling and I know I'm gonna spend most of the night and following morning in our downstairs bathroom away from my family... per Betsy's request.
The sad part is I think it's totally worth it. I'm like a social drinker who always gets hung over and tells everyone around them while echoing off the inside porcelain of the toilet, "I'm never ever ever going to drink again." Then they drink again that night. It's like I forget how miserable I am when I see that gargantuan bag of pistachio's in my cupboard. It also doesn't help that we haven't painted our disassembled cupboard doors yet so I can see everything in our cupboards every time I go into the kitchen.And finally, I feel like I'm wasting something when I dump all those pistachio shells in the garbage. Betsy says she's never once thought about it, but I think about it every time I hear the sound of hundreds of pistachio shells bouncing and sliding off different pieces of garbage until they make their way to the bottom of the garbage can. I actually went so far as to google ideas people have had to recycle pistachio shells... and I'm not even the "recycle type". I mostly just found a bunch of people making fun of people like me who want to find ways to recycle pistachio shells. Screw them. I have hundreds and hundreds of ant boats to keep me busy.

8 comments:
I love you Cameron, you are so funny; I love the way your mind processes things and that is why I married you. Oh and also because you are a Hottie.
Betsy
I think I have a solution for you. Almonds. Now I know they are not as scrumptious as pistachios, but no shells and you never have to throw the nut away. Oh, and you can get those at Costco too, 2.5# for like 9 bucks, such a deal. They are also good for you!
Your post made me miss Costco so much! We don't have them near us, and it makes me so sad. Matt also loves pistachio and eats them until he gets sick.
Cameron, how do we not know each other? I'm with you on the broccoli and the pistachios. In fact, I was at Costco today and almost bought a big bag of broccoli but didn't want it to go to waste. And yes, frozen broccoli = gross.
You know if you want to spend more money you can buy pistachios that are already shelled. It's not like those shells aren't out there somewhere, but at least they're not taking up space in your trash can.
Cam:
Everyday I go to your blog just to see what random thoughts have popped into your head lately....and I'm usually not disappointed! Most of us have random (somewhat crazy) thoughts but we don't take the time write them down...so thanks for making me feel better about my own personal craziness. Love, Mom
When I saw your post about Costco I thought for sure it was an apology to me for never giving me the FIFTY BUCKS you owe me, but I was sadly disappointed.
Dude people already recycle pistachio shells. They grind them up and put them in to breads like wheat and honey oat... this is why they taste like crap... and all the pistachio recyclers laugh and point at people like you who actually think that stuffs healthy. You know they walk by and see you in subway and one pistachio recycler points and says, "hey look at that idiot eating honey oat bread, ha ha he has no idea that he's eating pistachio shells." then recycler #2 laughs and says, "yeah I bet he's in there giving his friend crap for eating white bread because it's "unhealthy"". Then they both shake their heads with condesending smirks on their faces and high five!
I am ashamed to admit that I found your blog while Googling for things to do with my pistachio shells. I'm glad I stumbled upon your writing.
Post a Comment